Neuroendovascular specialists focus in the treatment of patients suffering from vascular diseases such as, aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVM), carotid cavernous fistula, carotid stenosis, cerebrovascular ischemia (stroke), and vasospasm. A successful neuroendovascular program brings together the expertise of multiple specialists, including an endovascular neurosurgeon, an endovascular surgical neuroradiologist and a cerebrovascular-trained neursurgeon. Such technologies used by this physician team include:
- new stents designed specifically for the brain coils that are coated with biologically active material designed to create scar and connective tissue within the aneurysm to enhance the healing process
- carotid stenting with distal protection devices
- hydrocoils that allow increased packing of cerebral aneurysms
- clot retrieval devices for the management of acute strokes
- software that allows for the visualization and quantification of blood flow in the head and neck completely non-invasively
- new embolic agents for the embolization of AVMs
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery for AVMs.